Saturday, July 28, 2007

how to get rid of the holiday indulgence

Ok I know I have been a slack devil recently. The reason is I've been on holiday and just wanted to show off my new shape. Problem is I got lazy and after two weeks of total debauchery have managed to plow five kilos of fat back on. Bugger!
I often get emails from those attempting to get rid of the fat and freshen themselves a bit, who are frustrated and pissed off. They aren’t achieving their goals and they tell me they have “tried everything”. Some are in the throes of giving the whole thing up and resigning themselves to being fat and un-attractive. Ready to throw in the towel on exercise and nutrition. They feel nothing works. They start to buy into the idea that “diets don’t work so there’s no point in trying”. And sometimes they are right! Sometimes we want to indulge- just as I have.
I was like that once. The most annoying thing was that I could not figure things out. I ate well. I felt I was active. Yet I was 30 kilos overweight
The worst part was exactly this "what the hell is wrong" part. I felt doomed by genetics. I felt out of control. I felt powerless to do anything about it. I knew that crash dieting wasn’t a solution but I didn’t know how to change my eating (or that I should change my eating – I thought I was eating perfectly well). I wanted to feel good but I didn't, and no amount of rationalising or ranting about the health and beauty conspiracy worked.
In my years of experience as and someone on the journey of physical culture what I have discovered is that human perception has only a loose connection to reality. We do not see ourselves -- or others -- as we really are. We may see ourselves as fatter or thinner, healthier or less healthy, more or less muscular and so on. but unless we are highly experienced professionals, we are generally not in any position to judge our food intake, activity levels, degree of fitness, or body composition. So having said that now I start again getting rid of the 5 extra bloody kilos I put on.
Just watch this space and we'll see how we do it. Just hang in and don't give up.

No comments: